Nidhi
When I was in the fourth grade….one of the best lessons I learnt was about metamorphosis, and the example that my ‘Science is Fun’ edition displayed was the lifecycle of a butterfly .My ma is the best when it comes to making studies fun..

So we (di and me) searched for a caterpillar and …..Now when the pupa stage was showing no signs of progressing …we would check each day , a number of times… so that we did not miss upon the ‘butterfly’….it looked kind of impossible for that ‘dry leaf’ to turn into any beautiful thing !!

Finally….the chrysalis showed a sign of change….the mesh pencil holder with the pupa hanging to the twig was brought in open air…The butterfly emerged…but its beauty, the wings were so crumpled and it struggled to come out….it walked…unbalanced itself…we were horrified at the condition…the ‘baby’ was so fragile…we decided to help it fly…and slowly and carefully helped it spread its wings….

What we did not realize then, though we saw the immediate signs that the butterfly was not ‘absolutely’ normal...it worried us no end…but finally we had to let it go...Since trying to feed a butterfly is by no means a ‘human’ job.

We found out later that the butterfly has to pass the last test of survival…it has to pump the fluid up the veins in its wings, that’s how its wings get the ‘shape’ and we had unknowingly managed to jeopardize the scheme of things……

At many junctions in life I have faced adverse conditions, some created by me while the others not quite my fault, at these times it would get difficult not to question ‘why me?’ However, in the ‘scheme of things’ I have realized that things happen, situations change, One has to learn not just to celebrate joys but the moments in life….its fun that ways, and that is what living and learning is about, it’s about ‘adapting’…something which is our very own thing to do and it’s a test for survival….

And yes, another important lesson..…the job is ours to finish…difficult as it may be…we have to learn how to ‘spread’ our wings and fly..

Loving, living and learning from life .
6 Responses
  1. Ashish Gupta Says:

    "When I was in the fourth grade ... [life goes on in between]... now that I am gonna start working ... I am still as duffer as I was born"

    =)) =))


  2. Unknown Says:

    quite a philosophical post.. :) but very gud one.. one which everyone should understand..
    "we have to learn how to ‘spread’ our wings and fly" - very well said n very true...

    and abt the caterpillar thing,even i did it in my childhood days.. catchign hold of a caterpillar.. feeding it lots of leaves n watchign it changing into a pupa... and atlast a butterfly..
    so wonderful isn't it??
    wonders of nature.. :)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    nice blog :D


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I remember learning a 'lesson' on the basis of the butterfly lifecycle. But it was not in school. Ah! I cant recall where it was. Anyway, terrific timing for the posting.
    Cheerio


  5. Kaps Says:

    oh god!..kya re..apun bhi aajkal yehi soch raha hai..:)..

    its so difficult, at least for me, to motivate myself to finish the task..which is no one else's but mine..worse part is, i know that wen i wud spread my 'wings'..life wud be worth living again..yet i procrastinate.

    why?
    wat motivates the caterpillar to pump that blood?..


  6. inspring :)
    liked it....
    good u stopped being a lazy bones :D
    ~preeti