Nidhi
I have just watched ‘15 Park Avenue’….I wanted to watch this movie and was delighted to see the ‘breaks’ when Shabana Azmi would share trivia abut the making and the film…however the movie left me largely sad.

I am sad because it was a sad movie, somehow though I love watching movies which serious themes and which are truly ‘hatke’… .at the end of it I largely have a tired mind to take care of…..

Films which had similar effect were Hazaro Khwaishen Aisi , Bawandar, and like…No I am not even trying to recall the names…just not in the mood to do so ….

However, I do remember how and when I really got hooked to such genre of movies….I have always liked Arty movies….and when in college, our ‘Movie club’ which was largely an extension of the ‘Lit. Soc.’ was planning to show some movies for the serious audience…there was much debate about the suggested names…..

Finally we screened some 4-5 movies, ‘Hari Bhari’, ‘Kairee’, ‘Boy’s don’t cry’ and ‘Fire’. The discussion was largely regarding the screening of the last two movies…since the show was open to all DU students….we were not sure if the mood and the public would be right for these movies……

We did go ahead with it anyhow……I remember my senior remark for ‘Boy’s don’t cry’ …the movie is excellent but I would not recommend it to be screened….I was much baffled by the arguments!!

Anyways….while the movie was screened during afternoon…..I was among the audience, the MH auditorium was packed…we had a ‘full house’ …much tension about the number of guys who had turned up for the screening, we were prepared to hear the jibes and the snide remarks…DU has all kinds of people and the movie was ‘different’…

When the movie started I found myself a seat in the dark….last minute running about has its consequences ….and lo!! I was sitting beside a guy and aisle. The section of people around me was largely mixed…I watched with some inhibitions.

The movie explores lesbian relationship, and has some pretty explicit scenes and in all is a hard hitting movie which has been made very well. Contrary to what we expected…I did not expect much because I was watching it for the first time….the response was amazing! No one uttered a word….all of them sat…absorbed…feeling the pain, the uneasiness, some shocked …I was ….and some easy.

The whole movie was not interrupted even once….and when the capacity of the auditorium is around a thousand, one does expect some mischief…We were all surprised by the decorum. Infact the only remark which left a bad taste for me was when one of my close friends sneered while I was leaving… ‘how was the movie?? Heard some hot scenes there!!’

Since then I have heard and seen much…debates, arguments, forums, et al….but even today that silence during the movie keeps echoing in my ears..
13 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    heyyy.. me first :)
    15 Park Avenue is a nice movie.. and I too somehow like watchin' such different kind of movies alott... but haven't seen the ones u were talking abt.. i mean Hari Bhari, Kairee n Boy's don't cry... have seen Fire though..
    I do have a great respect for such actors like Rahul Bose, Konkana, Shabana Azmi n Nandita Das.. they r absolutely fabulous actors..

    I badly want to see Hazaaren Khwaishen Aisi n Iqbal..
    Hope u enjoy more such movies..


  2. I have watched 15th Park Avenue and was in love with movie, konkana and everyone else out there :) I liked all konkana's movies Mr & Mrs. Ayer, Page 3 etc although haven't seen the movies u mentioned but have seen Iqbal too and that too was fabulous movie


  3. Ankit Says:

    Oh yeah Boy sdont cry was amazing ..
    Though i didnt like the ending they cud have easily done without the rape scene. I guess Swank also won an oscar for tht right?

    Park avenue was a disappointment i had so much expectations frm the movie but it was not tht great


  4. fursat Says:

    I also saw a sad movie this weekend, WATER. It's more about hypocricy of men through ages. Do watch it but only if you are in mood for something serious and hard hitting.

    I would love to watch 15 Park Avenue as her previous movie Mr and Mrs Iyer is my all time favourite. I am also a lover of serious arty movies and to be very frank, I can't stand most commercial movies these days.

    It's suprising to read about maturity of DU crowd. It's best known for its crude comments. I have only watched FIRE among the ones you mentioned. I have heard a lot about others and would love to watch them one day.


  5. SeePearrl Says:

    "Hazaro Khwaishen Aisi"...just love this movie...

    I had this CD since long time but never watched it until one of my friends asked me to watch it...thanks to him :)
    thats one touching movie!


  6. havent seen 15 park avenue yet( got 2 catch up soon..) these serious movies hav an aira of their own... Netime reliable stuff...


  7. Rose Says:

    Im baffled by the arguments on 'Boyz Dnt Cry' as wel.. its one of my fav movies ever...

    I luvd ‘15 Park Avenue’ as wel.. it was like a journey into the world of a mentally disillusioned woman.. Awesome!!!

    :)

    ..Me


  8. ketki Says:

    hey! Even I am a taurean n I m trying sooooo hard to understand myself
    Anyway, U write simply grrr888!
    :)


  9. Rishabh Kaul Says:

    15 park avenue was ok. boys dont cry was awesome


  10. SUNMAY Says:

    you left out black and page 3 i guess !


  11. Anonymous Says:

    I haven't watched any of the movies you mentioned except for Boys dont cry. Artsy movies are cool. I watched Tehzeeb only for ARR's music but ended up liking the movie as well. I recommend it. And yeah, the silence in a pakced movie theatre is a weird sign as a success of a movie. Swades was announced as doing really well overseas. And I was not surprised. When we were watching the movie in a theatre here, it was packed. It was watching in utter silence and towards the end, lots of tears. And once it was over, it was silence...eerie silence.
    Gosh, sorry. It's like I am telling a story. I shall shut it :$


  12. Anonymous Says:

    And yeah, not being a movie buff, I can easily pass on most movies and not worry a bit :D But that's what movies should be like, in my opinion. Though most people will disagree with me. Anyway...
    Oh 2 comments, I am turning into Ricky :| :P


  13. Anonymous Says:

    Even, I had just one comment for this one... :-|